Sunday, January 27, 2013

Self Portraits


In my imagination.


In the mirror.


Self portraits are difficult. When I was taking my very first drawing class at Flagler, I remember my teacher looking over my shoulder at a self portrait I was struggling through, and him saying, "Whatever you're doing, just stop." Normally he was impressed with my abilities in a drawing 101 class, but apparently I had some pre-conceived notions of what my face looked like that were not...realistic? I guess I knew I had big eyes, so I would always end up over-exagerating them. I think we all kind of do that, walk around with a picture of what we look like in our minds. It was only when I sat down and really examined my face as lines and shapes that I realized how embellished my mental image of myself was.

 Basically in my mind I resemble an anime character.

So, I've been making a conscious effort to not give up on self portraits. The first one is a doodle I made in church today (shhhhhh.....) of my hand. Creating magic or whatever. The second is an honest to goodness shot at recreating my face.

 Zac says he knows I was drawing from a mirror because that's my "mirror expression" and also my bangs are parted the wrong way. 

Well, Bye!
Anna Coleman

No comments:

Post a Comment