Friday, April 26, 2013

Some New Work



Hello! 

I always feel a bit discouraged when I see how long it's been since I updated my blog. Life, you know? Mine is really busy. But the important thing is that I have been making time for my artwork, and I have a few pieces that I want to show you.



For starters, I've added a new wolf mask to my collection. I've been letting friends borrow the ones from my BFA portfolio show to use for photo shoots and props for photo booths at weddings. They're pretty sturdy, but I figure it won't be long before I start needing new ones. Plus, they're really fun to make! 


I start with a base of aluminum foil, then cover it with masking tape which forms a kind of skin. Then I paint it with acrylic paint and add fur details with ink. I usually attach an elastic string to the back so it will stay on my face, but I haven't gotten around to that with this mask, so I have to hold it in place. 


And of course, here is a fake-old-timey photo of me modeling my creation.


Next is a portrait of my niece Eliza. This was done with ink and watercolor. I've started experimenting with watercolor, since I've never really used it before and I feel it's important to keep exploring new mediums. Obviously this is a very minimal use of watercolor, still very much within my comfort zone of pen and ink drawing. Baby steps, right?


This happened when I sat down with some charcoal. I drew the girl first. She was just floating there, and I wasn't sure what she was doing, so I panicked and drew an elephant under her. It ended up being one of my favorite drawings I've done in a while.

This is the artistic manifestation of my recent obsession with succulents. I included the root systems as a nod to the scientific botanical illustrations where I got a lot of my inspiration. Also, look at me using watercolors for real this time!!! 

I have a few more pieces in the making, so keep an eye out for more from me soon! 
-Anna Coleman







1 comment:

  1. HI!! :D I was searching for tutorials to make a wolf mask, and I found your blog, and especially your mask! I was amazed by your work, and took it as a model. I succeded in making one even if your description is very short, and I wanted to show it to you, sorry it's in french, but here is my version of your mask: http://emiliew.skyrock.com/3195910243-Masque.html

    Thanks a lot, and great work! :D

    ReplyDelete